Good security should be based on the five following principles:
- VIGILANCE – the vigilance of staff will be a major defence against unwanted intruders. Staff should never put their own safety at risk.
- DETER – criminal activity where possible. In security as in health care, prevention is better than cure.
- DENY – the criminal the opportunity. Good physical protection measures should be taken to deny criminals access to Staff, Patients, goods and assets.
- DETECT – the earlier the criminal acts are detected. The greater chances are of the criminal not getting away with it.
- RESPOND – without an effective response, other counter measures may be ineffective. All security incidents should be reported to Security via the Security ‘Hotline’ and the Department Management.
PDF - 6 pages - 19 kb
Swapshop Members: Download the complete document here.